Thursday, September 6, 2007

Not the brightest crayon

Well, we made it to Del Rio last night without incident. Several deer on the side of the road but none felt compelled to run out in front of us.

This morning started out wonderful. The water was so smooth, just a few ripples from the south breeze. The fish were biting and it was great morning. Then the alarm woke me up and everything changed!

The wind was blowing 15 to 20 mph so the weatherman said, but I don't think he was right. We got to the lake and for the first time we decided we would fish on the other side of the bridge. Not in Mexico but on the same side of the lake.

At first it wasn't to bad, but the further we went the worse it got. There were swells of about 3'. The boat became airborne more times than I would like to remember. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy flying, I just prefer to to it in an airplane.

Being airborne in a boat is really not the bad part, it is what you know is coming that is bad. As the steady hum of the engine changes to a high pitched squeal from lack of water, you prepare yourself for the landing. It jars every bone in your body. And just about the time you catch your breath, the sound changes again and you have to prepare yourself to do it again.

Frank realized how scared I was and we turned back. Going back into the wind is really a bit better than the ride with the wind. Still rough, but you don't go fly, you just get showered.

As we fished the rest of the day in some of our usual spots, I reflected on what we had experienced this morning. At this point, I went from being scared to being mad. Frank and I are not stupid people, but this morning our actions made us look really dumb. I mean, here we go in a $30thousand boat plus all our equipment not to mention our lives, putting ourselves in danger to practice to win $1,000. Makes it look like there are a lot brighter crayons in the box besides us!

So goes the first day of our trip. Nothing exciting other than forget to put on the sunscreen I had to go back in the house for (I am a bit red tonight).
Tomorrow,Frank will try again, but I am staying safely on land and spending the day with the rest of the fishing ladies. The Chamber of Commerce has a full day planned for us including a trip to the winery and shopping. Now who wouldn't look forward to that?

Best Fishes from Del Rio!
Wish you were here.

1 comment:

SimplyGigi said...

I am not a fisherman (woman...whatever) but I stumbled upon your blog in this little world of blogger and this entry just CRACKED ME UP!