Saturday, September 8, 2007

Good things Come to Those Who Wait

Well, hello everyone. It is Saturday evening and we are having a really good time. Yesterday, Frank did some more pre-fishing while I went with the rest of the girls and toured Del Rio. We started off at the Val Verde Winery, wine samples before noon. Yeah, I really liked that. We went to a few shops in the downtown area and ate lunch at "The Brown Bag". That was a really good experience. We finished off the night with "Border Buttermilk" at registration. Needless to say, Friday was a good day.

This morning we started off fishing at a little after 6AM, yeah, that is my favorite time of the morning. Frank threw a top water, I rested for a bit. No really, we both new if I started fishing in the dark that I would end up tangled in a tree that I could not see. Around 7 o'clock it was day light enough that I could see where to cast. We fished top water for awhile with no success. We decided to venture on the north side of the bridge past the dam. It was not as rough as Thursday, but by the time we decided to move, it was a very light sprinkle. If anyone is interested in a facial, save your money. I had a derm-abrasion this morning going 50 mph across the lake! I felt clean and refreshed by the time we stop to fish!

The lake was rough, but we did not do any flying this morning! However, as long as we have been fishing, I don't remember getting sick in the boat. I got sick today from the rocking of the boat! Poor Frank was doing his best to keep us in a position to fish, but when the trolling motor spends more time out of the water than it does in, that is kind of hard to do. About 25 minutes of that was all we could handle and we headed back to the south side of the bridge (and another facial).

Lets just say we were not having the best of fishing days! I had prayed for God to keep us safe and felt it would be selfish to pray for a keeper fish. He had, after all, kept the boat upright for the past three days, I really didn't want to push my luck!

By 1:30, I was getting a little disheartened. Frank had been frustrated for several hours already. Seven and half hours on the lake and no fish in the live well! Who wouldn't be at wits end? In the midst of my frustration, I told Frank I was tying on a pink Baby Tiki . That really made him mad and I was trying to decided if I would be sleeping in the pick up or if we could afford another room for the night. A few cast later, with no luck, it was time to move again.

Weigh in closes in 2 hours and we a going to be skunked. I HATE BEING SKUNKED!

We managed to keep our frustration in check and stayed very civil to each other, but he is still a bit angry at my choice of bait. And then it happened! At 2:10, I caught a keeper. Not a monster but a keeper and we were not going to be skunked. It was at this point that things really changed. Frank tied on the same bait and he caught a keeper. Dear sweet Lord, thank you for answering our prayers. By 2:30 we had caught 8 fish, 4 keepers. We decided not to be greedy. We stopped fishing, said a prayer of thanks and packed up to head to the ramp.

By the time we get loaded and up the ramp we are the next to the last couple to weigh in at 3:25. We really like to keep people wondering about us! We weighed in 7.47 pounds. Not bad for those who had no fish just an hour earlier. I was just glad we had shown proof at 2 that we had no fish or no one would have believed us!

Prayers and patients pay off again. Thank you again Lord for blessing us with the means and ability to fish and for always answering our prayers.

No comments: